You just cannot beat a good pasta dish. They are so simple, ready quickly and absolutely delicious. If you are anything like us, then Italian is one of your favorite cuisines. Pasta dishes are so versatile. You can make them with a creamy sauce, tomato based sauce, or just add pesto for a tasty green pasta.
The key to making a beautiful spaghetti meal is to always throw some garlic in there. Garlic is an exceptional ingredient that adds a rounded, robust and full bodied flavor to any dish. Our personal favorite easy pasta dish to make is garlic and olive oil spaghetti.
What is garlic and olive oil spaghetti?
Garlic and olive oil spaghetti is a simple, quick and easy recipe to keep in your repertoire! It is a classic Italian dish with a subtle yet delicious flavor beloved by all. This pasta dish is also known as Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, which is how you will see it appear on the menu of an authentic Italian restaurant, so maybe give it a try next time you are out for dinner!
This dish requires very few ingredients, and is cheap to make, yet we promise the smell will ensnare the senses and the flavor will tingle your taste buds. Garlic and olive oil spaghetti is so satisfying that it will definitely become one of your favorite dinners to make.
To make this dish, you will only need:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Dried or fresh chilli flakes
- Sprinkling of salt
- Regular spaghetti or whole wheat (your preference)
- Parmesan cheese
- Parsley (for topping)
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is simply made with garlic, olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and chilli flakes, parmesan cheese and of course your favorite pasta, such as linguine or spaghetti. Luckily, we have a simple step by step guide of how to make this traditional dish yourself.
How to make garlic and olive oil spaghetti
If you are ready to cook up a swirling spaghetti dish in just a few minutes, then you are in the right place. This recipe only takes around 30 minutes to make, with 10 minutes of prep time and about 20 minutes of cooking time. Once you’re done, you can serve it up for 4 people, or save some more for yourself, of course! In addition, there are only a few ingredients needed to make spaghetti aglio e olio.
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 lb of uncooked spaghetti/linguine (your preference)
- 1 cup finely grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- ¼ of a cup of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- ¼ of a teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Step by step guide:
- First, bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt for best results. Then, cook the spaghetti in the hot water, stirring until cooked properly for about 10-12 minutes. The spaghetti should be firm in this instance.
- Next, drain the water, and transfer the spaghetti into a large pasta bowl.
- Then, get a cold skillet, and mix together the olive oil and garlic. Cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes to cook the garlic perfectly. Leave to cook for about 10 minutes, and reduce the heat to a low setting once the oil is bubbling. Cook until the garlic turns a golden color, and then remove from the heat.
- With the pasta in a bowl, add in some black pepper, a pinch of salt and stir in the red pepper flakes. Then, combine completely, and pour in the olive oil and garlic mixture. Sprinkle half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and all of the parsley and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Finally, serve up the pasta between 4 bowls (4 servings), and top with a sprinkling of the remaining amount of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and enjoy! Bellissimo!
Our top tips
For the best results, we recommend using only the finest pasta, or premium quality pasta as this will make all of the difference. You should also use premium extra virgin olive oil rather than others, as this will give you all the flavor you need when combined with the garlic.
We also love topping with a few sundried tomatoes for an extra boost of flavor that will tingle your taste buds! Finally, one of the best pieces of advice we can give you is to cook the spaghetti until it is firm, and al dente style. This will give you that perfect traditional spaghetti aglio e olio dish that will rival all others!